Day 27: How do you acquire most of yarn? Online retailers, local yarn shops, swaps, or large chain craft stores? What’s your favorite?

The majority of my yarn (I’d say 75%) is both large chain craft stores and online retailers. The other 25% is gifted yarn, and visits to an LYS (local yarn shop) near me or near where ever I’m going.

If I’m working on a blanket, my go-to yarns are:

I Love This Yarn (Hobby Lobby)
Caron Simply Soft or Caron One Pounders (Jo-Ann’s)

If I’m working on hats or scarves, my go-to yarns are:

Knit Picks Brava (Knit Picks)
Lion Brand Landscapes (Jo-Ann’s)
I want to add Drops Merino to this list. I received some in a birthday swap, and I want MORE.

If I’m working on socks, my go-to yarns are:

Lorna’s Lace (Jimmy Beans Wool or Eat.Sleep.Knit.)
Knit Picks Mighty Stitch (Knit Picks)

And finally- for sweaters, my go-to yarns are:

Red Heart Soft (Jo-Ann’s)
I Love This Yarn (Hobby Lobby)


I have a few go-to online sources for hand-dyed yarn, which I usually use for scarves, socks, and shawls:

A Hundred Ravens (I’ve squished ALL of their yarns in person, so I have no qualms about ordering things off their website.)

Space Cadet (such fabulous colors!)

Gnome Acres

The Blue Brick (lovely variegated and semi-solid yarns) – Dyed to order.  CLOSED for July, but keep checking back.  The Etsy shop looks to still be open.  Any dyed extras are sold there.


As far as my favorites… I like Knit Picks for the swiftness of delivery, and local large chain craft stores for last-minute yarn needs.  But if I was going purely for choice (and price was no object)- I’d probably ONLY shop at hand-dyed sources (both the ones listed, and others).  I love the uniqueness and love that goes into each hand-dyed skein.

 

Advertisements