I may have just accidentally solved my own problem.

So. To continue yesterday’s talk about my set of charity scarves- I did something different to finish these last two. I did a row of single crochet (double crochet, for you UKers out there) across each side.

See- when you vertically knit a scarf (as in knitting the entire length as a row, and just going back and forth, filling in the width), your scarf ends are the sides. And the sides are not as strong as your cast on row, or your bind off row. And if you’re going to do something fancy like add fringe, or some kind of edging- you need a strong foundation. I’ve had this problem for a while, but I’ve been ignoring it. But- my awesome brain, in a moment of oh-let’s see-what-this-looks-like, may have actually solved my own problem for me.

Now- I don’t particularly like fringe or tassels; but I AM aware that there are LOTS of people who do. So, since I have a few months before it gets cold here again- I might actually add something else to the ends. And that single crochet row makes a nice finish, OR gives me a foundation on which to build.

 

Yay!

Advertisements